Monday, October 5, 2009

Today's Lesson

Today I took my students to the computer lab. In partners, they proofread their previously written rough drafts the old-fashioned way! Next, I had them type their essays in Word. Tomorrow, I am going to show them some neat Word Tools that I didn't know how to use until I read our textbook. I am looking forward to this.

During my prep period a student came to ask me a question about Twitter because he thought I would know. However, I told him that I had no clue about Twitter, and I didn't see Twitter, tweeting in my near future! Then I asked him if he could get Twitter here at school. He said that he could. My question is why wouldn't the powers that be block Twitter when the powers that be block FaceBook. What am I missing? Aren't both of these examples of social networking?

One of my classes can't get into the computer lab tomorrow because the library labs are both taken. We have another lab upstairs, and I really only need it for Word; however, another teacher told me that we can't print from the upstairs lab even though she has asked the tech. director to make printing available for this small lab. The tech director won't set it up because he thinks we don't need it up here. He teaches in another building for half the day. What does he know about what we do or don't need. He has never asked us. Again, I think I am missing something. Wouldn't you think that the teachers in a building might know what they need for their classes?

Oh, how I would love to have a mobile Mac lab for my classroom so that each of my students could use a computer at the same time. Oh, the things that we could do! (I would have to learn to do them more proficiently first!)

Well, it is off to do some more research for my paper. I am looking forward to getting the survey results. I hope more of my teachers took the survey so that I have an accurate feel for my district. The countdown to Friday is on!

1 comment:

  1. JB,

    That is unfortunate you have a computer lab that you cannot print from. That does just does not make sense!

    About the tweeting, I do not know much about it either. All I know is that I believe you can update your facebook status via twitter. I am curious now to see if we can tweet from our school.

    I do have access to a mobile mac lab at my school. I haven't used it, but I guess I should take more advantage of the opportunity available to me. I am just so used to teaching math with power points for the lessons every day and I hardly ever deviate from the book to do projects. Our class is definitely challenging me to do that though, so maybe I will be checking out the mac cart one of these days...

    ReplyDelete